The weather has been atrocious for many in the United States in past months and has wreaked havoc on many. Not only is the harsh weather hard on your body, but your car can take a beating as well. Though you have properly prepared your vehicle for the deep freeze, with the appearance of spring, you will inevitably have to prepare your vehicle for the warmer weather, and take stock of the damage the severe weather has caused to your vehicle.
In the winter, slushy, sloppy roads, salt, and gravel, as well as deicer are destructive to your vehicle. Although intended to protect us during the bitter cold, salt, gravel, and deicer are detrimental to your vehicle. So how do you repair the damage that old man winter has inflicted upon your car, truck, or SUV? Here are some tips to get your vehicle back to optimal shape for the warmer months:
- Clean the interior of your vehicle, removing all debris from the carpets. Be sure to clean them completely and let them dry before reinstalling floor mats.
- Clean your door jams. Spray a little degreaser in the jams and either wipe them with a cloth, or hose them out.
- Use a paint brush to clean your dirty air vents.
- Thoroughly wash the exterior of your vehicle either by hand or via carwash. Be sure to get the undercarriage and deep in the wheel wells since this is where most of the salt accumulates. This can help avoid rusting on the vehicle.
- Check your tires to ensure proper inflation and rotate them.
- Check your wiper blades and replace them if necessary.
- Change your oil and filter.
- Change the air filter.
- Check your belts, hoses, coolant level, brake fluid levels, battery, and plugs.
- Remove items that were used for winter driving such as sand and shovels to improve gas mileage.
- Prepare the interior for sun exposure by using leather protectants and cloth protecting products.
When you take care of your vehicle and prepare it for each season, you will get more usage out of your car, truck, or SUV. Of course these are guidelines, and a certified technician at your dealership can help to inspect your vehicle to make sure it is running optimally. They can also answer any questions you may have about your vehicle.